Phoebe’s Chicken Adobo
Phoebe, Nichole’s cousin and carer, recently made us this amazing dish – Chicken Adobo. It is a very popular Filipino dish, that is not only delicious, but also super easy to make! Phoebe is accompanying her cousin, Nichole, 11, who is currently here with us for surgery and treatment for her severe scoliosis. You can read Nichole’s story here.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 whole onion, sliced
- 2 potatoes cut into large chunks
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 whole garlic smashed and peeled
- 2 pounds chicken thighs or drumsticks (Phoebe used drumsticks)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stock cubes
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stir in the garlic until it softens. Then add half the onion and stir until softened and
- Add in the potatoes and stir until they brown and partly cook. Then take them out and leave to the side to add in later.
- Stir in the chicken and stir fry until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add in the bay leaves, 2 stock cubes and one cup of water and cover.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and the rest of the onions.
- Add the soy sauce, salt, sugar and vinegar and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chillies and serve with rice.