Christina’s Chipsi Mayai (Chips and Egg)
Get a taste of Tanzania with Christina’s favourite dish – Chipsi Mayai (Chips and Egg).
Salt (to taste)
Black pepper (to taste)
- Make yourself a good amount of French fries or use ones bought at a store.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, add salt and pepper to taste. Add the French fries to the bowl and mix it well.
- In a pan heat oil and add the fries-egg mixture to it. Cook for 3-4 minutes until golden at the bottom then flip and cook the other side.
- Serve hot with your favourite chilli sauce, and a tomato and onion salad, or just have it as is. Enjoy!
Some facts about Tanzanian cuisine and culture
- Tanzanian cuisine has been influenced not only by its neighbouring countries, but also by Indian cuisine, due to the Indian nationals who migrated for trade to Tanzania in the 19th century.
- For dessert, Tanzanians usually eat a lot of fruits like bananas, mangoes, watermelon and papaya.
- The national dish of Tanzania is Ugali. Ugali is a dough made of cornmeal and served along with a sauce made of either meat, fish, beans, or vegetables.