Three little lives given BIG new hope

Home > Meet Konny and Gerkess > Three little lives given BIG new hope

It’s with both tears and joy that we say a bittersweet farewell to three of the bravest little humans we’ve ever met. Little Jack and his mum Boufa, and formerly conjoined twins Nima and Dawa with their mum Bhumchu all left Melbourne on the 6th March after undergoing complete transformational surgery.

The little gang couldn’t have been heading to more different destinations – Boufa to a remote Island in Vanuatu and Bhumchu to the landlocked Himalayan nation of Bhutan – but their lasting connection and true friendship was clear for all to see as they said their farewells and flew back home to begin their new lives.


Jack arrived at Children First Foundation in June 2018 with a large and life threatening encephalocele on his small face. His journey ended up being more complex than expected, with his dedicated Royal Children’s Hospital team performing two intricate surgeries. We are incredibly fortunate
that Jack’s case was taken on by RCH. Neurosurgeon Alison Wray, maxillofacial surgeon Jonathan Burge, and Professor Tony Holmes – some of the best in their field. We knew our boy was in the safest of hands.

Jack after surgery 2019. Butter wouldn’t
melt in his mouth.

Now a small neat scar across Jack’s nose is the only remaining evidence that remains of the former protrusion, a condition which if left untreated, could have ended his life. Without the operations, it’s likely that he would have begun to have seizures and eventually died. Because of your support, Jack not only has a new face, he has a new life in which he can thrive and grow.

The transformation in Jack is incredible to see, and would never have been possible without your generous assistance. His mother Boufa often tearfully thanks us for her boy’s “new face”, but the real gratitude is due to you, their champions and supporters, who make it possible for us to do the work we do.

Nima and Dawa

Not long after Jack’s arrival, conjoined twins Nima and Dawa touched down to what can only be described as a media frenzy. They captured the hearts and interest of everyone in Australia, as they waited for their lifechanging operation.

Though the girls were oblivious to the cameras, their mother Bhumchu was incredibly moved by the outpouring of love and support from the Australian public for her girls. After a short delay to increase their pre-surgery weight, the girls were off to the RCH. A team of 18, including surgeons, anaesthetists, technicians and theatre nurses worked on the complex surgery to separate the girls, who were joined at the liver.

Nima and Dawa. Sisters doing what sisters do.

They were discharged from RCH just 16 days after being separated and have literally been developing in leaps and bounds since then. Their little lives have been changed forever by your generosity, and we are so very grateful for your help.

We look forward to hearing what these special, brave little ones get up to as they grow and thrive. As Bhumchu said, “ thanks to you – their future looks so bright.”